Monday 9 March 2015

Up Rangitoto ......... TIRING!!!!

Today it was our big first day of EOTC Week!!! Do you remember what we were going to do? Well, if you got it right then you will have said or thought "Let's go up Rangitoto." At the end of today, I'm just saying that it is well worth the effort but really tiring!!!!!!! When I say 'well worth the effort', I mean the beautiful views of the Hauraki Gulf (the ocean), the awesome mysterious volcanic landscape and dark and gloomy caves in which when you talked, it echoed like mad! Even though the hike to the top of Rangitoto was a challenge in perceverence, if you have done the even more challenging Tongariro Crossing (National Park) of 6 and a half hours then it will not have been too bad.
I have learnt a few things at Rangitoto. I will tell you about them now. Did you know that Rangitoto last erupted 600 years ago? It was caused by some dramatic explosions and Rangitoto slowly but steadily started making it's way up until it transformed into a huge mountain right in the middle of the sea. This makes it one of New Zealand's youngest mountains!!
Here I have another fact. In New Zealand, Pohutakawas are very special and looked after because it is a New Zealand native tree and it is also sometimes called a Christmas Tree, because they bloom in December which make them look very pretty! Rangitoto carries New Zealands largest Pohutakawa forest! The final fact is that in the 20th century there was a small community living in baches which were scattered along the shoreline. Permanent living has now been forbidden though.
On our walk, we spotted thousands (OK maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit) of traps! In some of them we saw dead rats or mice. The traps are there to keep the island pest free and protect native birds and plants like the kiwi and takahe.
Overall it was and amazing day and I am already looking forward to day two of the EOTC Week!
P.S. I am totally glad I survived without the mountain exploding on us!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing Hannah!! I am so glad that you enjoyed your first day of EOTC. You have learned quite a lot about Rangitoto and I like your rich descriptive language of your day. Keep this writing up!!

    ReplyDelete